Sometimes fixing a bug can feel a bit like a good ol' fashioned WHODUNIT!
I call this one The Case of the Mustachioed Menace.
The bug in question was a similar case to that discussed in my last post in that (SPOILER ALERT) it was caused by outside influences and updates.
However, this one involved a much different culprit; one I never thought would betray me.
I do declare!
Welcome back, esteemed reader!
This is my first post since graduating Thinkful, and let me tell you, it has been quite a whirlwind in the interregnum! Aside from beginning my job search, which poses its own trials and tribulations, it is during this period that I encountered my first post-production issues in the projects I created.
While such situations can be a frustrating experience for any developer, I also relish in the success of finding solutions to such problems and the additional experience I gained working more in-depth with several technologies.
..And what better way to really test what you know about a technology than having to maintain a project and fix a few bugs that came out of the wood works!
In this post and the next, I want to discuss two scenarios in which I found myself troubleshooting apps I created several months prior, as it was tampered with by outside forces…
Hello, world! No, this isn’t a total reset…
Although, it kind of feels that way after spending the last portion of my program learning Computer Science principles. I am actually tempted to delve further into those concepts, but I shall refrain from that for now – as I shall deliver on my promise to cover state in
However, I will digress for a brief update:
I was a returning guest on Bang! Important afterward as well - feel free to give it a listen!
Amidst these events in the coding community, I managed to complete the rest of my bootcamp curriculum and, as of April 27th, I am officially a graduate from Thinkful! The last mock interview was a doozy –
Bubble sort vs.
Merge sort… in-order, pre-order, and post-ordering in
Binary Search Trees… but I made it, and I am already cracking to get out into the wider world of web development and apply my skills at a new job! Good thing I created the perfect tool to help me with that...
Welcome back, esteemed reader!
Yes, it has been a while since my last post…but I assure you, my time away was well spent!
I have several
things to brag about updates to share in this post (aka TL;DR):
1. Completing my React Capstone
2. Participating in my first Hackathon
3. Being the guest on coding podcast Bang! Important
This post will be a continuation of my example React program: Boxes.
In my last post, I outlined how to create a basic
React component and render it.
That post paid particular attention to how properties (props in
React jargon) are passed down to a component in order to give it certain aspects of functionality – and on that note, I made the parallel of a
React component being just like a regular
In this post, I want to continue the Boxes example by adding more complexity and showcasing how multiple layers of components can pass down props. In this expanded example, we will also see the other style of creating
React components: class syntax.
In my previous post, I focused on two basic concepts about
We also saw how to get our first
React app up and running, while paying attention to how this basic starter app utilizes React’s capabilities in order to
work its magic communicate with the DOM and render said components.
Part of this process involved noticing the peculiar syntax used to write such apps, known as
JSX. We will continue learning about these features in this post.
We will explore one of the two most commonly-used features to take advantage of the way in which components communicate with each other: props.